When your kids are on vacation and you are busy, what can you do? Summer camps are normally the first thing that will come to your mind, but they bring many challenges for both kids and parents alike. Even with these challenges, summer wouldn’t be same without these camps for most families. Based on their time and their budget, some parents select full day camps for their kids in order to complement their work schedules and others go for short half day camps and even more still go for multiple daily activities. No matter if you select full day or half day camp, the most important thing is to select the right camp for your child, as well as one that that works for you.
Above: FEELartistic art instructor Jalal Gilani at Marysville farm educates kids and parents alike
Following these simple tips will help you select the right camp and the best activities for your child:
1) Research camps in your neighborhood or close to your work so you can pick and drop your kids off on time.
2) I hope this one goes without saying, but don’t enroll your kids in same type of activities in same building or environment for the entire summer.
3) Request free classes as a trial of sorts. Some camps offer free trials, and it can’t hurt to ask!
I personally initiated a free art program at FEElartistic Studio for those interested in either taking weekly art classes or trying summer art camps. This will give an opportunity to parents to see if this camp is right for their child or not.
4) Make sure to read and understand the camp’s policies on late pick up and cancellation, just in case.
5) Search and read reviews of the camp, as they will give you a much deeper understanding of what exactly goes on in your camp of choice.
6) Meet the instructor ahead of time if possible, or learn about the instructor and about the company running the camps.
7) Look out for early registration. This can help you save up to 50% of summer camp costs if you’re lucky!
8) Make sure the institution organizing the camp has a business permit, insurance, and that the criminal background of each individual has been checked by an unbiased organization.
Good Luck and have a wonderful summer camps:)